Thursday, April 13, 2006

st. frances of reposo

If there is a modern day and female St. Francis, it would be Aling Silay. I had a talk with her last night and she seemed like one of those enlightened ones who has great empathy for all living things. She lives along the border of San Miguel Village and Santiago Village in Makati. She's this old housekeeper and nanny who has been feeding pigeons, abandoned cats and dogs within the village area. She would scout for lost askals (asong kalye or street dogs) that she has befriended and look for it or her all over the village until it is found. I'm sure no one else would do something like that. At around 6 am and 1 pm, she would scatter bird feed by the corner of my street and Reposo for the South Cemetery pigeons to feed on. It's a sight, I tell you. All these pigeons lined up on the electric wires and flying all over the place makes you feel like you own a piece of Trafalgar Square .
I named the first kitten I rescued, Twinkle (I think twinkle was the cookie I was eating that time when I found her at our backyard in Cagayan de Oro), when I was twelve. Later on, I never named rescued cats until i knew for sure I could keep them (attachment issues). We kept a black cat when I was in high school which my aunt named Luningning but I never endeared myself to her that time as she would always leave the house and return home late at night. I almost named a black kitten who followed me home from the library to my building when I was in college, but it attempted to jump off the veranda and I feared I could not protect him from other danger especially since I've been living alone, so I had to give him up and give him to a streetchild who wanted him. The past buildings I've lived in would not allow pets but luckily the building I've moved into last year allows pets (well there hasn't been a written rule in the contract so I suppose they're allowed... and no one has complained yet so far ;) I met Mazzy one lonely night in January, meowing from afar under a car at Reposo St., I've become "a little" responsible and stable ever since, as keeping pets are supposed to be therapeutic. It's heartwarming the way he waits for me by the stairs or by the gate, even until late at night, until I arrive, or when he has silly sleeping positions or when he would imagine playmates or enemies and attack them (perhaps they're just the ants, but I'd like to think that my cat has imaginary friends hee :) I got the name Mazzy from the dream pop band Mazzy Star. Here's Mr. Star in one of his newest sleeping positions:


Im thinking of a spay and neuter program for my barangay. I would appreciate if someone can help me go about this. Cats and Dogs, like humans, need population control too!

PLEASE ADOPT THIS KITTEN





I found this 3 week old kitten last night by the sidewalk canal. i already have Mazzy and I doubt if my building will allow me to keep another cat. I need to find a parent for her soon. I already asked ANIMAL HOUSE and PAWS but both cannot adopt cats for now as they also get a lot of abandoned pets already. I haven't named her yet (again, attachment issues). She's got gray blue eyes and yellow and white fur. She makes silly soft freezing positions, and she looks so fragile and cute. If you know anyone who would like to adopt a newborn kitten, please email me. SOON!!!!


No comments: